How to apply for
a place in the Sixth Form
Year 11 students who wish to stay at HGS for their Sixth Form courses are invited to apply via a 6th form application form, available from the school reception, sixth form office or which can be downloaded from the school website. Tutors will assist Year 11 pupils in the next stage of their career planning. The initial closing day for HGS internals is Friday 25 November 2016.
HGS Sixth Form is open to boys and girls and the procedure for students from other schools who wish to come to us for AS-Level and A-level study is as follows:
1. Obtain an application form from HGS school reception in person or by telephone, number 0121 554 2794. Forms will also be available at the Sixth Form Open Evening, and available to download from the school website under the Sixth Form heading and then Application Forms. The application form is in two parts:
- Part one which is to be completed by the student and returned to HGS Sixth Form;
- Part two, which is confidential, and should be passed on to and completed by an appropriate person (student’s Head of Year) at the applicant’s school and sent separately to HGS Sixth Form.
2. Places are offered if a student’s predicted grades at GCSE are high enough, a good school reference is provided, and the student has a successful interview.
- The GCSE passes must contain at least three or more A or A* grades and 5 or more B grades. We expect B grades or higher in English and Mathematics.
- At least a grade B is normally expected in a subject that is to be continued at AS level. Some subjects, for example Mathematics require a grade A. To study Further Mathematics an A* is required.
3. All prospective Sixth Form students and their parents are invited to an Open Evening in school where information and advice regarding subject choices at A level are available, as well as the opportunity to meet HGS staff and view the accommodation. This year, the Open Evening will take place on: Thursday 10 November 2016 4.30 – 6.30
4. Once you application has been received, the initial closing day for externals is Friday 6 January 2017; you will then be invited for an interview. If successful, you will receive a conditional offer. Please note applications will be processed upon receipt but will not be acknowledged.
5. Upon the acceptance of a conditional offer you will be invited to the Sixth Form Induction afternoon usually early in July. You will be expected to attend this afternoon.
6. Sixth form places are of course conditional on GCSE results. Internal student applications will be confirmed on Thursday 24 August 2017. We ask external applicants to attend and present GCSE results on the day following the release of GCSE results, Friday 25 August 2017, to confirm their place and subject choices.
Handsworth Grammar School
T: 0121 554 2794
A May (Ms)
Student Admin Support (Post 16-18)