Entrance Requirements from September 2019
A minimum of 8 GCSEs at grade 6 or higher including English and Maths
For legacy GCSE subjects such as Business Studies, ICT and DT courses a minimum of a grade B will be accepted in place of a grade 6.
Conditional offers are based only on GCSE grades and do not include alternative Level 2 qualifications (vocational courses such as BTEC’s, Nationals etc.).
Specific Subject Minimum Requirements are:
|A Level Subject||Minimum GCSE Requirement|
|Art||6 in Art|
|Biology*||7 in Biology|
|Business||6 in English Language or Literature, 6 in Mathematics and 6 in Business Studies (If studied)|
|Chemistry*||7 in Chemistry|
|Computer Science||7 in Computer Science and 7 in Mathematics|
|Drama||6 in English Language and 6 in Mathematics|
|Economics||6 in English Lang or Literature, 6 in Mathematics and 6 in Business Studies (If studied)|
|English Literature||6 in English Language, and 6 in English Literature|
|French||6 in French|
|Further Maths||8 in Mathematics|
|Geography||6 in Geography|
|German||6 in German|
|History||6 in History|
|Law||6 in English Language or Literature and 6 in Mathematics|
|Mathematics||7 in Mathematics|
|Music||7 in Music and at least grade 5 on one instrument|
|Physics*||7 in Physics|
|Politics||6 in English Language and 6 in Mathematics|
|Philosophy||6 in English Language and 6 in Mathematics|
|Sociology||6 in English Language and 6 in Mathematics|
|Product Design||6 in a Design Technology subject|
|Psychology||6 in English Language or Literature and 6 in Mathematics|
|RS||6 in RS|
* If a student has studied GCSE Combined Science rather than separate sciences they will require a minimum of two grade 7’s and will only be permitted to choose a maximum of 2 sciences for A-level.
- Conditional offers do not always guarantee the subjects that have been selected by a candidate will be the subjects undertaken at A-level. Subjects to be studied are determined by exam results and availability of spaces.
- If a subject has not been studied at GCSE level then it may still be possible for that subject to be taken at A-level. Such circumstances will be considered on an individual basis.
- The school and its governors reserve the right to reduce curriculum time allocated to a specific course due to low uptake of students and also to withdraw a course due to an extremely low uptake of students.
- In the event of over-subscription preference will be given to looked-after children or previously looked-after children; and then those who live nearest to the school (according to the straight-line distance between home and school).
- Many subjects are delivered in collaboration with KEVI Aston, KEVI Handsworth Girls and KEVI Handsworth Wood Girls Schools, so lessons may be at those venues and/or have students from those schools.