How to apply for
a place in the Sixth Form
Year 11 students who wish to continue their education at KE VI HGS must apply using the online Sixth Form application form, available from this website shortly. The closing date for HGS internal applications is Monday 15th November 2021.
All prospective Sixth Form students and their parents are invited to an Open Evening in school where information and advice regarding subject choices at A level are available, as well as the opportunity to meet HGS staff and view the campus. This year, the Open Evening will take place virtually and will be available from Thursday 4th November 2021.
KE VI HGS Sixth Form is open to boys and girls. The procedure for students currently in Year 11 at other schools is as follows:
- Complete the online application form.
- If applications are successful, students will be invited for a consultation. This involves attending the school for a formal conversation with a senior member of staff about your application form and suitability for a place in our Sixth Form. It is also another opportunity for you to have a tour of the School and meet some of our sixth form students. Following this, students who successfully complete the consultation will be made a conditional offer, providing their predicted GCSE grades meet our entry requirements:
- A minimum of 8 GCSEs at grade 6 or higher, including English and Maths.
- For legacy GCSE subjects such as Business Studies, ICT and DT courses a minimum of a grade B will be accepted in place of a grade 6.
- Conditional offers are based only on GCSE grades and do not include alternative Level 2 qualifications (vocational courses such as BTEC’s, Nationals etc.).
- To be accepted onto a course of study, students will need to secure a grade 6 at GCSE for most A-level subjects. However, Chemistry, Computing, Physics, Mathematics and Music require a minimum grade 7, and Further Mathematics, a grade 9.
The closing date for external student applications is Friday 18th February 2022.
- Sixth form places are conditional on GCSE results. Internal student applications will be confirmed on Thursday 25th August 2022. External applicants may attend and present their GCSE results after 1pm on results day, to confirm their place and subject choices.
- All conditional offers will be withdrawn at 3:00pm on Friday 26th August 2022.
King Edward VI Handsworth Grammar School for Boys
T: 0121 554 2794
Sixth Form Enquiry Contact Form
I Bedson (Mrs)
Sixth Form Administrator
Please click here for the external application form.
Please click here for the internal application form.
Please note that you will need to log in using your school supplied email address for the internal application.