How to apply for
a place in the Sixth Form
Year 11 students who wish to continue their education at KE VI HGS are invited to apply via a Sixth Form application form, available from School Reception or from the school website. The closing date for HGS internal applications is Tuesday 19th November 2020. The process is then the same for steps 2 and 3 below.
All prospective Sixth Form students and their parents are invited to an Open Evening in school where information and advice regarding subject choices at A level are available, as well as the opportunity to meet HGS staff and view the campus. This year, the Open Evening will take place on Thursday 7th November 2019.
KE VI HGS Sixth Form is open to boys and girls. The procedure for students currently in Year 11 at other schools is as follows:
- Obtain an application form from KE VI HGS School Reception in person or via the School website. Forms will also be available at the Sixth Form Open Evening.
- If applications are successful, students will be invited for a consultation. This involves attending the school for a formal conversation with a senior member of staff about your application form and suitability for a place in our Sixth Form. It is also another opportunity for you to have a tour of the School and meet some of our sixth form students. Following this, students who successfully complete the consultation will be made a conditional offer, providing their predicted GCSE grades meet our entry requirements:
- A minimum of 8 GCSEs at grade 6 or higher, including English and Maths.
- For legacy GCSE subjects such as Business Studies, ICT and DT courses a minimum of a grade B will be accepted in place of a grade 6.
- Conditional offers are based only on GCSE grades and do not include alternative Level 2 qualifications (vocational courses such as BTEC’s, Nationals etc.).
- To be accepted onto a course of study, students will need to secure a grade 6 at GCSE for most A Level subjects. However, Chemistry, Computing, Physics, Mathematics and Music require a minimum grade 7, and Further Mathematics, a grade 8.
The closing date for external student applications is Friday 10 January 2020.
- If you accept our conditional offer, you will be invited (and expected to attend) the Sixth Form Induction Afternoon on Thursday July 2nd 2020.
4. Sixth form places are of course conditional on GCSE results. Internal student applications will be confirmed on Thursday 20 August 2020. We ask external applicants to attend and present GCSE results on the day following the release of GCSE results, Friday 21 August 2020 from 9am, to confirm their place and subject choices.
King Edward VI Handsworth Grammar School for Boys
T: 0121 554 2794
A May (Ms)
Student Admin Support (Post 16-18)