How to apply for
a place in the Sixth Form
Year 11 students who wish to stay at HGS for their Sixth Form courses are invited to apply via a 6th form application form, available from the school reception, sixth form office or which can be downloaded from the school website. Tutors will assist Year 11 pupils in the next stage of their career planning. The initial closing day for HGS internals is Tuesday 20 November 2018.
HGS Sixth Form is open to boys and girls and the procedure for students from other schools who wish to come to us for A-level study is as follows:
1. Obtain an application form from HGS school reception in person or by telephone on 0121 554 2794. Forms will also be available at the Sixth Form Open Evening, and available to download from the school website under the Sixth Form heading and then Application Forms. The application form is in two parts:
- Part one which is to be completed by the student and returned to HGS Sixth Form;
- Part two, which is confidential, and should be passed on to and completed by an appropriate person (student’s Head of Year or Tutor for example) at the applicant’s school and sent separately to HGS Sixth Form or returned to the student.
2. Conditional places are offered if a student’s predicted grades at GCSE meet our entry requirements, and if the application and a consultation are successful
- The GCSE passes must include a minimum of 8 GCSEs at grade 6 or higher including English and Maths.
- For legacy GCSE subjects such as Business Studies, ICT and DT courses a minimum of a grade B will be accepted in place of a grade 6.
- Conditional offers are based only on GCSE grades and do not include alternative Level 2 qualifications (vocational courses such as BTEC’s, Nationals etc.).
- A grade 6 at for GCSE is expected as a minimum requirement for most subjects, the exceptions being Biology, Chemistry, Computing, Physics, Mathematics and Music that require a minimum of GCSE grade 7 and Further Mathematics where a minimum of grade 8 is required at GCSE level.
3. All prospective Sixth Form students and their parents are invited to an Open Evening in school where information and advice regarding subject choices at A level are available, as well as the opportunity to meet HGS staff and view the campus. This year, the Open Evening will take place on: Thursday 8 November 2018 4.30- 6.30
4. Once you application has been received, the initial closing day for externals is Friday 11 January 2019; you will then be invited for an interview. If successful, you will receive a conditional offer. Please note applications will be processed upon receipt but will not be acknowledged.
5. Upon the acceptance of a conditional offer you will be invited to the Sixth Form Induction afternoon usually early in July. You will be expected to attend this afternoon.
6. Sixth form places are of course conditional on GCSE results. Internal student applications will be confirmed on Thursday 22 August 2019. We ask external applicants to attend and present GCSE results on the day following the release of GCSE results, Friday 23 August 2019, to confirm their place and subject choices.
King Edward VI Handsworth Grammar School for Boys
T: 0121 554 2794
A May (Ms)
Student Admin Support (Post 16-18)